Warning: You will now be subjected to a highly biased post.
In compiling this list, I realized that while I’ve read a lot of vampirey books, and watched a lot of sanguine movies, there are still many I have not experienced. This will be remedied.
As you will see, I’m kind of an Anne Rice fan. Yet again, I blame my mother.
From Queen of the Dammed
Akasha is crazy. She is also strong, powerful, and extremely old. She is the villain of the Queen of the Dammed, but she is by no means evil. A little zealous in her convictions, but not evil.
5. Hanabusa Aido
From Vampire Knight
Aido is what I would call a sneaky character. He is a secondary character and the comic relief in the series. He is cute and charming, and knows it. Despite this seemingly frivolous behavior, he is loyal, often risking his life for the Kurans.
4. Erik Northman
From True Blood
3. Damon Salvatore
From the Vampire Diaries
Damon is another crazy vampire. He does what he wants, when he wants, and doesn’t a damn what others think. Well, except for Elena.
From Buffy the Vampire Slayer
1. Lestat de Lioncourt
From The Vampire Chronicles
I’m starting to see a pattern in the characters I like. Charming. Crazy. Funny. That about sums the list up.
Favorite Movies/ Shows
6. Blood: the Last Vampire
4. Lost Boys
3. Interview With the Vampire
2. The Vampire Diaries
1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
6. Red Headed Step Child by Jaye Wells
5. Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris
4. I am Legend by Richard Matheson
3. The Queen of the Dammed by Anne Rice
2. Vampire Knight by Matsuri Hino
Speaking of Vampire Knight, I bet the next chapter is available. *disappears*
1. The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice
Things I would like to see more of in vampire fiction
6. Less sparkle, more sharp, pointy teeth please.
5. More YA vampire horror a la Lost Boys. That’s not really horror. Um, more horror, more stories like the Lost Boys. Something like that.
4. More vampires based on other cultures versions. As you can see, there is a plethora of vampire mythos to choose from. Some far more interesting than the traditional Western European vampire (still dibs on the Indian girl myth).
3. More novels based in a historical setting. I think that’s why I love Anne Rice so much. I’m a sucker for a good historical fiction.
2. More girl vampire protags, or love interests. I think the sexy male vampire falling in love with the average human trope has been done to death. I want to see a female vampire protag fall in love with an average male. Or a nerd (see below).
1. Nerdy vampires. That just goes without saying.
What are your favorites? What do you want to see more of? Or less of?